If you have problems with the backlight of the MacBook keyboard do not worry anymore, today we tell you three simple solutions to fix keyboard backlight not working MackBook problem.
The backlight effect of the MacBook keyboard is both handy and beautiful, but, like many other things, it can sometimes fail. If you have encountered this problem and are thinking about sending your MacBook to the technical service try these three simple solutions beforehand and you may save yourself more of a trip, several days of waiting and even some money because sometimes these problems with the backlighting of the MacBook keyboard are due to very silly issues that have gone unnoticed.
Fix Keyboard Backlight Not Working on Mackbook
So here are the three solutions to fix Mackbook keyboard backlight problems:
Adjusting the Backlight Sensor for the MacBook Keyboard
The backlight of the MacBook keyboard is controlled by a sensor that detects ambient light. Many times this sensor causes, in a strong light, a lightning or even the light of the sun, a lock of the indicator of illumination. The solution, in this case, is so simple that maybe we have not noticed: you have to adjust the light source, it does not shine directly on the sensor of the Mac.
The sensor automatically deactivates the backlight of the MacBook keyboard although we can also give you the keyboard shortcuts. However, it will switch off again with changes in intensity. If we want to test how the sensor works the thing is as simple as placing us in a dark room and point with a discreet flashlight on the sensor. You can check the effect yourself.
Manually adjusting the MacBook keyboard backlight
If the previous procedure has not been enough and the keyboard still does not respond to the external light, we can probably solve keyboard backlight of your Macbook manually with a few simple steps that probably have also escaped us in a previous recognition of the problem. For this we only have to:
- Open System Preferences.
- Let’s go to the Keyboard section.
- Uncheck the boxes “Automatically illuminate the keyboard when there is low light”.
- Now we will use the F5 and F6 keys to manually adjust the backlight of the MacBook keyboard according to your choice.
Keep in mind that this means that the keyboard will always remain in the same conditions. This means that the battery could be compromised in case we do not pay enough attention.
Take a look at Best Wireless Mac Keyboards.
Adjusting the backlight of the MacBook keyboard with an SMC reset
If none of the above has served, there is a third solution that we should keep in mind. With this, we will solve, most of the time. This problem may become apparent when the MacBook keyboard backlight clearly does not work and we do not find the option “Automatically illuminate the keyboard when there is low light” in the preference panel. What we can do is restart the System Management Controller or SMC. It is best to follow the official instructions and plan it well as it is not always convenient to restart it.
For notebooks with removable batteries:
- Turn off the computer.
- Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it is plugged in.
- Extract the battery.
- Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
- Release the power button.
- Reinsert the battery and connect the MagSafe adapter.
- Press the button on to start the computer.
For notebooks with non-removable batteries:
- MacBook Pro (early 2009) and later, all models of the MacBook Air and MacBook (late 2009) are among the notebooks with non-removable batteries.
- Turn off the computer.
- Connect the MagSafe ** power adapter to a power outlet and connect it to the Mac if it is not connected.
- Press Shift + Control + Option (Shift + Ctrl + alt) on the left side of the built-in keyboard and the power button at the same time.
- Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
- Press the boot button to start the computer.
If we still do not have MacBook keyboard backlight working after that, we should definitely turn to technical service because we are probably faced with a hardware problem that we can not deal with due to unintentional contact with some liquid or another problem We’d better look at it as soon as possible. So these were the solutions to the Keyboard Backlight Not Working on Mackbook problem.