Spending the photos we do with an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to a Windows computer is something that should be very intuitive and simple, but unfortunately, it is not always so and many people have doubts about how to transfer photos from iPhone or iPad to Windows 10 or 8.
If you find yourself in this situation, in the following lines we want to show you several ways to transfer photos from an iOS device to a Windows PC step by step. This way you will have no doubts and you will know how to store all your photos on a computer to store and organize them to your liking.
Using the Windows 10 or Windows 8 Photos app To Transfer Photos From iPhone or iPad
One of the innovations that included Windows 8 at the time and that has also maintained Windows 10 is the Photos application. Windows users can keep organized all their photographs and can also use it to transfer the images taken from iPhone, iPad, Android or any other type of camera to the computer in a simple way.
To transfer photos from iPhone photos to a PC using the Photos app the steps that you must follow are the following:
- Connect the iOS device to the computer via the USB cable (it is important to have iTunes installed on the computer so that it recognizes the iPhone or iPad correctly).
- Open the Photos program from the start menu or searching.
- Click on the Import button in the upper right corner of the screen. At that time Photos will be analyzed to the memory of the connected devices.
- Once the analysis is finished, the application will show you a new window with all the new photos and videos detected. Select the ones you want to import into the computer and click on the Continue button.
- In the next window choose the location where you want the photos to be stored on the computer, if you want them to be organized in folders for months or days, also choose if you want that once imported photos are deleted from the iPhone and finally click on the Import button.
After these steps, Photos will start transferring to the computer from iPhone or iPad and storing them in the folder indicated in the fifth point of the instructions.
Import Images and Videos from Windows Explorer function without iTunes
In case you do not want to use any software that organizes your images automatically and mount a gallery with them, you can use the Import images and videos from Windows Explorer option. This option is available in older versions of the operating system such as Windows XP, Vista or 7.
To transfer the photos from iPhone to the computer using this option the following steps are as follows:
- Connect the device to the computer using the USB cable (as in the previous point you need to have iTunes installed to recognize the iDevice).
- Open the Windows Explorer and in the section This computer (or My PC in old versions), right click on the icon that identifies the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch and click on Import images and videos. At that point, the computer will start scanning the iOS device’s memory for photos and videos to import.
- When finished the analysis a new window will ask you if you want to review and organize the new contents detected or if you prefer to import them all. In this guide, we will explain how to import everything and for this, we only have to select the option Import all the new elements now and press on Import.
Once the process is complete, you will be able to access the photos in the Pictures folder within Computer.
Transfer photo and video files manually from iPhone or iPad to Windows
The third and least recommended option is to use Windows Explorer to directly access the folders that store the photos on iOS devices and manually copy them to the computer.
You should only use this option if you know what you are doing and prefer to organize all the photo and video files manually.
- Connect the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to the PC with Windows via the USB cable (once again we insist that it is necessary to have iTunes installed for the computer to detect the device correctly).
- Open the Windows Explorer and double click on the icon that identifies the iOS device from which you want to pass the photos to the computer.
- Now go to the following Internal Storage / DCIM path and you will see several folders named 1XXAPPLE.
- When accessing each of the folders you will see the photo and video files and you only have to select the ones that you want to copy and drag them to the folder of the computer in which you want to save or select them, right click and press copy option and then paste into the desired folder.
With these three options, you can now transfer the photos and videos you make on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to a computer with any version of Windows easily.